My homies

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Jimi

One of my favorite guitarists of all time. Most people know his name, most people know his most famous songs, such as Voodoo Child (Slight Return), All Along the Watchtower (which originally was a Bob Dylan song), Purple Haze and Hey Joe.
But there are so many good Jimi Hendrix songs that aren't well known, so I figured I'd post some of them.



This is one of my favorite Hendrix songs. It's the last track in his first album, 'Are You Experienced?'. Unlike many other Hendrix fans, this album is my favorite Hendrix album, while most people will prefer Electric Ladyland. Don't get me wrong, I love his later work too, but the bluesy chops n lick from Red House simply blow me away every single time.


The aforementioned Red House.



Now, Bold as Love is most definitely the masterpiece of his second album, 'Axis: Bold as Love'. I think this piece really represents the spirit and mentality of the hippies; dreamy, perhaps even a bit trippy.
Noteworthy: the sound effect that's used rather extensively in the last part of the song is called 'flanger'. Jimi claimed to have heard that sound in one of his dreams and had to use it in a song. The more you know ;)


24 comments:

  1. Jimi & Brian May are the two best guitar players of the 20th century.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that cat before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jimi Hendrix is one of my favorite artists from that era, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kitten is one of my backgrounds! I have like 7 different pictures of kitten in a field and that is one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hendrix is legendary, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! Love it! keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jimi def was a visionary in his time. He was doing mind blowing shit. But as we've progressed I'd say he's no longer one of the best players... IMO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a legend! Follow

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's a favourite of pretty much everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh God I love Hendrix.
    Why Jimi? Why'd you have to leave :<

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jimi, you are just a god among guitars

    ReplyDelete
  12. i had this really good quality live audio of him but i lost it. he is my favorite guitarist

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hendrix is one of the guitar gods, along with Jimmy Page, Angus Young, and Eric Clapton

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite Hendrix song is "Little Wing"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have to admit that those four songs are the only ones I could name from Jimi, but these others rock as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete